The South Asian Travel Awards (SATA) 2017 was officially launched on the 27th of October, at Equator Village in Addu City. The event began with networking sessions, with an introduction of an exclusive partnership with Agoda by Ooredoo Maldives, followed by an 'Island Festive' on the 28th of October, with the awarding ceremony and gala dinner concluding the event.
On the evening of Saturday (28th October), the 2017 edition of SATA provided accolades in over fourty categories, to which 450 service provides from the hospitality industry were nominated. Unlike the previous years, the SATA 2017 had a total of five participating countries: Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, and Bhutan.
The properties of Maldives hospitality Industry received a total of 24 awards, with the country itself winning the Visitors Choice Awards; leading beach destination, leading dive destination and leading honeymoon destination.
Regional Awards Received by Maldives
- Leading Airport Hotel: Hulhule Island Hotel
- Leading Wellness and Spa Brand: Araamu Spa
- Leading Surf Hotels: Cinnamon Dhonveli
- Leading All Inclusive Hotel and Brand: Lux Maldives
- Leading Wellness and Spa: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Adventure Sports Service Provider: Q Adventures
- Leading Activity Water Sports Centre: Best Dive Maldives
- Leading Tour Operator: Inner Maldives Holidays
- Leading Domestic Tourist Transport Provider (Air): Maldivian
- Leading PSA Service Provide: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading GSA Service Provider: ACE Hardware
- Leading Liveaboard Brand: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading Liveaboard: Scuba Spa Young
- Leading Travel Agent: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading Dive Centre: Dive Ocean
- Leading Boutique Hotel and Resorts: Amilla Fushi
- Leading Guesthouse Tourist Inn: Reveries Diving
- Leading Dive Hotel: Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
- Leading Family Hotel and Resort: Sun Island Resorts and Spa
- Leading Luxury Hotel and Resorts: Soneva Jani
- Leading Romantic Hotel: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Designer Hotel and Resorts: Cocoon Maldives
- Leading Beach Hotel and Resorts: Summer Islands
- Leading Market Hotel and Resort Brand: Adaaran Resorts
The South Asian Travel Awards (SATA) was launched in 2016 by the local event management company High Rise. SATA is endorsed by Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Sri Lanka (FCCISL), Colombo Chamber of Commerce (CCC), Maldives Marketing & PR Corporation (MMPRC), Maldives Association of Travel Agents & Tour Operators (MATATO), Confederation of Associated Tour Operators (India), Association of Travel Agents (ATA) Maldives, Association of Travel and Tour Operators India (ATTOI), Association of Professionals in Tourism (APT, India), Kerala Hotel General Managers Club (KHGMC), Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) and Liveaboard Association of Maldives (LAM).