Maldives has achieved three prestigious destination titles at the South Asian Travel Awards (SATA) 2017.
The second edition of SATA Gala and awarding ceremony took place on 28th October, at Equator Village in Addu City, Maldives. With total five countries in participation, the hospitality properties of Maldives earned the most number of accolades this year.
SATA 2017 received 414 nominations from the participating countries; Maldives, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhuta, in 39 different categories. The properties of the Maldives hospitality industry achieved a total of 24 awards in, while the country itself received three Visitor's Choice Awards; Leading Honeymoon Destination, Leading Diving Destination and Leading Beach Destination.
24 Regional Awards Received by Maldives
- Leading Airport Hotel: Hulhule Island Hotel
- Leading Wellness and Spa Brand: Araamu Spa
- Leading Surf Hotels: Cinnamon Dhonveli
- Leading All Inclusive Hotel and Brand: Lux Maldives
- Leading Wellness and Spa: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Adventure Sports Service Provider: Q Adventures
- Leading Activity Water Sports Centre: Best Dive Maldives
- Leading Tour Operator: Inner Maldives Holidays
- Leading Domestic Tourist Transport Provider (Air): Maldivian
- Leading PSA Service Provide: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading GSA Service Provider: ACE Hardware
- Leading Liveaboard Brand: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading Liveaboard: Scuba Spa Young
- Leading Travel Agent: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading Dive Centre: Dive Ocean
- Leading Boutique Hotel and Resorts: Amilla Fushi
- Leading Guesthouse Tourist Inn: Reveries Diving
- Leading Dive Hotel: Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
- Leading Family Hotel and Resort: Sun Island Resorts and Spa
- Leading Luxury Hotel and Resorts: Soneva Jani
- Leading Romantic Hotel: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Designer Hotel and Resorts: Cocoon Maldives
- Leading Beach Hotel and Resorts: Summer Islands
- Leading Market Hotel and Resort Brand: Adaaran Resorts
For the 2017 edition of SATA, five countries were in participation along with the three from the initial edition which was held at Mount Lavinia, in Sri Lanka. The third edition to be held in 2018 has already been announced, with India chosen as the host country.