The first ever Techstar Startup Weekend has concluded on 29th October 2017. The Startupweekend was supported by Dhiraagu, Ministry of Economic Development - Enterprise Development, UNDP Youth Co:lab, and organised by the Techstar Community Leaders in the Maldives.
Througout the 54-hour weekend event, groups of developers, startup enthusiasts, business managers, marketing gurus, graphic artists, and more, pitched in ideas for new startup companies, formed teams around the ideas and developed a working prototype, demo, or a minimum viable product.
60 youths of different professions took part in the first Techstart Startup Weekend that commenced on 27th October. The winners were announced on 29th October, with 'MyFoodPlate' earning third place, 'CleGO' earning second place, and the first place awarded to 'MoveSafe.'
A total of eleven teams pitched their ideas at the Techstar Startup Weekend
- 1st Place - MOVESAFE: An E-bracelet to make pilgrimage a safe journey for everyone
- 2nd Place - cleGO: Hassle free cargo solutions
- 3rd Place - MyFoodPlate: A marketplace for homemade food
- ezTour.mv: WebApp for tourists to get unique and existing services from one platform
- Aslu: Easiest way to identify fake products. Know the difference. Be Safe!
- GoLoca: Discover local adventures conveniently.
- Hoobul: one click connection
- Billy.mv: An Integrated, Convenient, One stop solution for all bill payments
- Avas Vakeel: Providing a platform for clients who can have easy access to lawyers.
- Vanavaru: connecting job seekers and potential employers
- Artivian: closing a major gap in local art industry
Techstars Startup Weekend is aimed to create a motivating weekend with smart, enthusiastic and passionate individuals gathered in one platform with a single motive, which is assisting in creating or funding the next best startup. More than 1000 events in 150 countries for building startups are hosted each year by Startup Weekend.