Are you worried
about an important text message that got deleted? These tips will help you
It is common that the majority of the people have text messages going back a decade, amongst them might be precious texts from family who have passed away, long lost friends, or important information that you never know when you might need again.
In addition; it is a sense of comfort knowing that the messages are stored for you to check on them any time you want, with a quick search on your iPhone.
However, presuming that you had to clear some space on your iPhone; and by checking on apps that are taking up the most space, you notice that text messages tend to take up the most space, which comes as a surprise, since people hardly send photos and videos by text.
Thus, deleting some messages might seem like the most reasonable way to free up the space and iPhone also has options which enables the user to select the time frame they want to clear up the messages. However, by doing so, the messages you meant to keep hold of for eternity will be lost. Or will they?!
There are ways to get your deleted messages back; even though the messages pretty much disappears once they are deleted.
Below are five ways to retrieve deleted texts on iPhone:
Use an iCloud backup to retrieve deleted texts
From the iCloud backup of your phone; you will be able to recover the text messages. But that is, if you have a backup.
To Check whether you have a backup; go to Settings > General Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under iCloud) have a look at your Backups to see if there is an old iPhone backup that could include the deleted text messages. If over the years you have owned more than one iPhone or iPad you are more likely to have multiple iCloud backups. Tap on the backup to see what date it was saved.
Once the backup is found; you will need to factory reset the iPhone before setting up the older backup. You may lose any data added since the backup; thus it is advised to save copies of your photos and videos and text messages you don’t want to lose! (We did try using the backup to restore to an iPad thinking that we wouldn’t have to overwrite our iPhone, but unfortunately that didn’t recover the text messages.)
In order to restore the iPhone to factory settings, go to General > Reset and choose Erase All Content and Settings. This shall take few minutes and then the phone will restart, taking you through the usual set up steps you would have seen when you last set up a new phone. When you get to the option to recover your device from an old back up make sure you chose the old back up of your iPhone.
It worked for us, hopefully it will for you. If you don’t have an old backup with the data you need - or you don’t want to overwrite the data added to your phone since the old back up try one of the following solutions.
Use iCloud to retrieve deleted texts
You could try this if you are keen on overwriting the content of your phone with the old backup.
However, it is a disappointment that iCloud doesn’t back up SMS in all territories and phone operators; thus it is unlikely the following approach to work. However, you’ll need only to go to step 2 to find out if it will work or not. In addition; to recover the lost messages, this is the easiest method for most people.
1. Login to https://icloud.com with your Apple ID and password
2. Click on Text Messages (if it isn't there your messages haven't been backed up here) - so skip this slide...
3. If it is there search the messages to find the ones you need.
4. Now go to your iPhone and choose Settings, iCloud on your iPhone.
5. Turn off Text Messages (or ensure it is turned off). I know this sounds counter-intuitive but stay with me people.
6. You'll see a pop-up. Select: 'Keep on My iPhone'.
7. Now turn back on text messages.
8. Tap 'Merge', and wait. After a few minutes the deleted text messages should appear back on your iPhone.
Use iTunes backup to retrieve texts
If the user haven’t been backing up on iCloud but managed to have an iTunes backup; it may be a source for you to recover your text messages. Plus it’s worth a try even if you do not backup.
1. Connect your iPhone to the computer with which you sync it. ITunes should open (if not, open it up manually).
2. You should see your iPhone in a box, top right-hand corner. Select it.
3. Now choose 'Restore backup'.
4. All the data you previously backed up will now replace the data on your phone. It will take a few minutes. As long as you haven't backed up subsequent to deleting those text messages, they should now appear in the normal messaging list on your phone handset.
With the help of phone provider retrieve the deleted texts.
If the above mentioned tips had no luck, the next best way to try is, to contact the phone provider.
Most of them keeps a record of your text messages, and it is possible for you to access them. It may sometime need you to contact customer service. Whatever the answer may be, no harm in contacting right?
Use a third-party app to retrieve deleted texts
If you had no luck with the above mentioned options; then it’s time to ‘think outside the box’. Use and third-party app to retrieve the deleted texts.
Some of the reliable third party apps that we recommend are;
· PhoneRescue by iMobie
· WonderShare Dr.Fone for iOS
· Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery.
It is best advised to try these apps, as soon as possible after you realize you need to recover your deleted texts. There are no guarantees, but we hope you recover your text messages.